2.20.2006

Randomness in the shower...

I put my laptop in my bedroom and opened Itunes and put my library on random... now i have a few days worth of songs, so there is quite a few... and then i went to take a shower (the bathroom door opens into my bedroom)... and the oddest thing happened...

you know how music has a way of reminding you of certain events in your life both good and bad, now I know they say that smell is one of the best ways of recalling memories, but for me music works much better... so the oddest sequence of songs played, each one with a very strong memorie associated with it... Its really odd that they all played back to back...

"I'm not a virgin anymore" by POE... my roomate meghan and I would play this freshman year while we would drive around the boulevard in Myrtle Beach with the sunroof open and the windows down. The song would be blairing and meg and I would be singing at the top of our lungs, and whenever we pulled up next to guys or drove by them meg would hang half out of the car and sing it to them... we would replay this song over and over again,
"I'm not a virgin anymore
I've been taken
I've been hung up
I get down and start it over again
I've been open
And I've been closed like a book
And burned down like a written sin
I just thought you should know my darling
So if you wanna play dirty darling I'm gonna win
I'm not a virgin anymore"

"Old Dominion" by Eddie from Ohio... my boyfriend at the time, Joe, and I had gone to a folk festival in New York, the kind where you camp there... I remember sitting on this big hill watching the show while Joe (who is big into photography) tried to get great photos of bubbles and children playing and hippies dancing... just sitting in the sun listening to great music...
"you think you'll find some mountains
in western colorado
fifty weeks of snowy peaks
is where you're gonna be
but babe the rocky mountains are gradually eroding
the hills of coors are nothing more
than blue ridge wannabes"

"Another Irish Drinking Song" by Da Vinci's Notebook... this song was played late one night while Amanda, Jayson, Dany, Maggie, I and whomever else was there late one night working on our GIS presentations for Erik... We were all rather delerious at this stage in the game, and well the entire CD is quite funny, it was even funnier being in that delerious state....
"We'll drink and drink and drink and drink
and then we'll drink some more
we'll dance and sing and fight
untill the early morning light
then we'll throw-up, pass out, wake up
and then go drinking once again"

"Grey Goose" by the Ying Yang Twins. This was played while driving to some club one night, I was in the back seat of Steve's mustang, Steve driving and John in the front, windows down, hair blowing all around and John and Steve singing/yealling the song, john flicking everybody off...
"G, Gotta grab a bottle of that shit
R, Right back at it with my click
E, Everybody drunk than a motherfucker
Y, Yall straight drunk than a motherfucker
G, Means that you gotta be Grown
O, you gotta pour a cup on your Own
O, Outrageously drunk
S, See I got something in my cup
E, Everybody getting fucked up"

"Piano Man" by Billy Joel, I remember sitting in the breakroom at Westview on the James (the summer camp I worked at), all of us sitting on the floor or on couches with Clay sitting on the floor leaning against the wall playing the guitar... and somehow we all started singing along to the various songs that he played... one of which being Piano Man, i was the one everyone knew and everyone sang along with
"It's nine o'clock on a saturday
The regular crowd shuffles in
There's an old man sitting next to me
Makin' love to his tonic and gin
He says, son, can you play me a memory?
I'm not really sure how it goes
But it's sad and it's sweet and I knew it complete
When I wore a younger man's clothes"

1 comment:

jkirlin said...

Pianoman is the only song I can sing. Well...If you could call it singing.