12.12.2005

Odd little revelation



Its odd sometimes the little revelations you have sometimes... So, I have spent a large portion of my life listening to my older cousin Jacque go on about things (she is ~12 years older than me). I spent a lot of time with her while I was in high school, she lived in Richmond, so I would spend weekends with her from time to time.... And she always went on about how she was never going to get married or have kids. That she was going to be the old woman with the cat and be old and alone.... And well I never really understood any of her worries, she was in her early/mid twenties while this was occurring... So well I was always like, you have plenty of time, you will find someone and all that sort of stuff... But recently I have come to understand those worries. I know I am only 23 and have "plenty of time"... But on the other hand, the older I get the smaller and smaller my social group is becoming. In undergrad there were always new people and a large pool of people. But now here I am working on my masters and my social group is well 20... So that large pool has dwindled quite a bit and most folks I know are married. So then I will go on to my PhD, where even if I go to a large school, the masters/PhD pool will likely be small, with many people married, or then there are those who are so focused on their work that they don't worry so much about their social life... And then I get a job, likely to be at a University, where I will likely be surrounded with older faculty, maybe a few new faculty, but there again even smaller pool.... So all of my cousins fears and worries have begun to creep into my head... I don't like that they are there, but they are...What if I never meet that right person who wants me and loves me as much as I love and want them, what if I never have kids.... What if it ends up being just me and some furry pet?? I don't know if I like the idea of that...

So my cousin is now married and has twin girls, so it worked out for her, but the man she married well she meet him in high school... So, that doesn't make me feel better... But alas, I really just don't know... I guess I can only be hopeful and hope things work out... :(

No comments: