7.25.2005

A BETTER DAY

Today was better than the last two days. Well, mind you it wasn't great but it was good. I started it off by waking up at 11:00am, which is the latest I have slept in a long time, and boy was it needed. I then went into school and spent some time with my forams. I am currently learning foraminifera from the Pearl River marsh, so I am trying to figure out what these little things are and I have never seen them before. So. . . Lots and lots of reading for me:).

One great thing is that none of the biologists are currently in need of the microscope camera, so it is all mine:). No more sharing, or at least for a while. Another great thing is that Mississippi universities finally did something right.

The state school of Mississippi realized that if they compiled all of their subscriptions to online journals they could have a really good Science Direct subscription! So, I now have access to online journals going all the way back (or at least as far back as they have been digitized). Now, I know that the fact that this is exciting to me just proves the fact that I am a HUGE dork. But, I am fine with that. Honestly, I cannot wait to start looking up journals (that's one of the things I am doing tomorrow).

Another great thing that happened was that Charlotte (that's my advisor) said she liked my music. The way we run the lab is that whoever is in there first chooses the music. Normally I am the only one in the lab but, since it is summer and Charlotte does not get paid by the university, she refuses to do departmental or university things and just works on her research. So right now she is spending almost all of her time in the lab, she is rarely in her office. Today I had my laptop randomly playing music; the killers, some of Tools "softer" songs, REM, . . . and Charlotte actually said she really liked some of the songs. Now, I don't play the heavier (System of a Down) stuff, I know that wouldn't go over well, but the fact that she liked the stuff I played was quite surprising. Apparently the Mr. Brightside song by the Killers is great foraminifera counting songs.

So, a simple but good day, just me, Charlotte and a couple hundred foraminifera. :)

1 comment:

M said...

I would jump for joy if ULL got its act together with the online journal thing