9.08.2005

Place to live rant

Sorry, I need to complain for a moment :)

Well the department has decided to start classes on the 19th of September, the main campus is resuming classes on the 12th. Since many of the students (mostlikely including myself) do not have a place to live, the university is renting apartments for those who need it, and some of the faculty who have extra rooms will be letting some of us live in their spare room. Now these are amazing gestures, but Hattiesburg is an hour away :( and ill bet money that they are gonna make some of us who go up there share a room. Now I don't know this for sure -- but I'm guessing. There is a reason I live alone people... and I've never shared a room with anyone - - and I don't particularly want to start now. And for living with a professor, I just think that would be weird and awkward... Especially with some of them!!! Wouldn't you just feel wrong coming in after midnight... and then I don't think that I could relax, I would always feel the need to be reading some journal or working on my prospectus, I couldn't just sit down and watch TV :(. And it looks like that whichever of the two I get, it it going to be a while before I can move out. The apartments in Slidell have long waiting lists, and the rest on the coast were destroyed. So, either I will have to go farther north -- like I can afford the gas to drive to school every day, or just live with people or with an advisor. Now I know I am sounding bitchy!!!!, and it is absolutely wonderful for both the university and the professors to be putting us up like this...but :(. And I'm am sure IM not gone get a choice as to who IM living with, if I live in Hattiesburg ill probably share an apartment with the few people I really don't like, and if I live with an advisor ill probably get Charlotte or one of the Russians. I wouldn't want to live with Charlotte, because well she is my advisor, I need some time away from her... and her husband and her tend to put me in the middle of their little jokes ("hey jenny, go tell Allan this..."), which is fun at work, but it wouldn't be fun all day. Or if I get placed with a Russian (they are very nice men, and have very nice wives) but they smoke like no tomorrow! I don't think my lungs could handle it. OH well, we will see how this goes!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

good luck with everything. don't worry it will all work out for ya!

M said...

sorry to hear that. Things will get fixed up and will be all better soon.

M said...

So are classes going to be on Stennis or in Hattiesburg?

JIK said...

classes will be at stennis