9.27.2005

I feel like a soccer mom!!!!!

Hi everybody!! I know it has been a while since I have posted, but things have been very hectic here. Well, I am back in Mississippi, living in Hattiesburg where the main campus of USM is located. Its about an 1 hour 10 min drive. The university has put us up in the family housing dorms, mind you I had told myself that I would never live in a dorm again, and these were getting ready to be tourn down, so they are not the nicest. And they are right across from frat row :(, now some of the students here were like, yay that sounds great!! They obviously do not know me!! First, I am not big into the frat boys, 2nd saturday all i could hear was there loud music playing (it sounded like i had a sterio turned all the way up in my dorm room :( ). I walked into this place and it was like a scarry freshman year flashback, but i didnt have all the cool new stuff this time. The apt came with a bed, fridge stove, it lacks a kitchen sink however, so dishes are washed in the bathroom sink, atleast there is a bathroom sink. So i had to go out and buy a shower curtain and all that kind of stuff and lots and lots of antibacterial stuff and bleach!! But its a place to stay for free and it is not a tent, so its not so bad. There is however a long drive (hence the soccer mom comment). The university is allowing us to use two departmental vans to transport the students back and forth (so we dont have to pay), which is very nice of them. And the majority of the students up there are the foreign national students who either cant drive or can drive but because of insurance purposes cant drive the departmental vans. So, everymorning both vans load up and i ask everyone if they have their badges (and usually someone has to go get it), so i totally feel like a soccer mom with kids, then it is off to starbucks so i can wake up, and then drive then begins. It kills so much of the day, it rather sucks, but i like to drive, I cant read or write in a car (i get sick), so atleast driving gives me something to do!

Anyway, cell phones still dont work here -- it took me 4 days to get in contact with my mom, so many towers were destroyed that its hard to get throught. If anyone has called me -- i dont know it, because my phone doesnt give me my messages till like 4 or 5 days later. Now every once in a while it works ok, but not very often.

Then there is the internet, the buildings here do not have ac, so the internet stuff and servers can not be run all day, because of them over heating -- so we have limited internet access... depending on how hot the building gets and what not. It should be fixed sometime this week -- Oh I hope it gets fixed, it is hot as hell in here!

Anyway, my days are filled with catch up for class, lots of reading and trying to repair this place. A good bit of the labs and offices were damaged, so charlotte's (my advisor) office is in the hallway across from my office. so things are quite hectic.

well thats a quick update -- ill do more later when i have time

No comments: